Tuesday 20 September 2011

Reflections on the Montessori and Waldorf comparison

There was a pretty amazing summery of the differences between Montessori and Waldorf educational models over at The Magic Onions last week.   If you didn't get a chance to read it, even if you are well versed in both theories, I highly recommend it.  It brought a really interesting view to a world I partially understand (Montessori) and one that I have both feet into (Waldorf).  One of my dearest friends is a radical teacher.  By this I mean she examines the theory of teaching and is constantly challenging herself as a early education teacher to exercise her truth within her discoveries.  I have learned an amazing amount from this friend and after I sent her the article to read, she sent the following back to me.  I wanted to post it as a follow up to the article linked to above.



"After getting lots of feedback about the practice of Waldorf and the
practice of Montessori, I've come to these conclusions (which I think
this article demonstrates), which are ever-evolving in my quest to
understand and appreciate them both.

People raised Montessori are incredibly capable and have a deep trust
in their ability to perform tasks. They struggle in their adult lives
with breaking out of what is given, struggle with breaking into
magical and creative thinking. Those who can learn to think creatively
become powerful people, because of their capability and
self-confidence. Montessori philosophy was at it's core about nation
building and the role of the state in education. It is beautiful in
some ways and in other ways terrifyingly stifling.

People raised Waldorf are incredibly creative and are able to tap into
the creative flow of the universe with deep self-confidence. They
struggle in their adult lives with directing this energy on the
material realm and in doing practical work with this creativity. Those
who can learn to be capable and practical are powerful people who
manifest amazing things that we have never seen before. Waldorf
philosophy (anthroposophy) was at its core about creating a science of
spirituality. It is very powerful and effective in some ways and also
terrifyingly stifling in others.

People raised mainstream are well-versed in the language of the
culture. They struggle with thinking outside of the script that we've
all been given. Obviously, they can be very powerful if they can
create their own script because they possess the language of power. At
its core, mainstream education is about creating excellent workers for
corporate interest.

I think where I bump up against all of these is that there is
suffering created for those who don't fit into the structure created.
Some kids simple are not naturally very imaginative. They thrive with
linear, logical, rational thought. We both know that some kids (I'm
sure you and I!) thrive in their imagination. Some kids like the rules
and regulations, easily identifiable rights and wrongs of mainstream
school."

Rachel VanBoven

3 comments:

  1. Such an interesting read, Rachel... thank you so much for bringing me here. Wow... knowledge is power, isn't it. I think we all have a way that resonates in our hearts but it's so very important to know the strengths and weaknesses of the path we choose for our children so that we can try to anticipate the pitfalls. It's so important to have our eyes and ears wide open.
    Excellent discussion :-)
    Blessings and magic,
    Donni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Donni, for your feedback. I agree. Eyes and ears wide open. And the acknowledgement that we are all just trying our best to further the happiness of our children. It is easy to lose sight of that in the details of how we are doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a Montessori educated, and I appreciate every day that it gave me the opportunity to design relations in a logical manner without stifling creativity (I am a waldorf dolls maker). but if the purpose of this education is allowing me to understand the world and adapt myself, it is missed: by chance, none of the people with whom I feel confident followed a french classical education. they scare me, they always "need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows", and that's why my five children were home-schooled before entering art school.

    ReplyDelete

Play nice kids or no wooden toys and millet for you!